Thursday, February 18, 2010

Br. writes, Bi. types

In response to the "Not the TV Book Group"'s reading of Philippe Claudel's "Brodeck's Report" ("Brodeck" in the U.S.), I wanted to share my thoughts. Verbivore recommended the book, and I was pleased to see it getting more exposure. Realizing, though, that I'd missed the official date (blast!), I thought back to the things I wrote about this novel in June. Among my papers, I also found a typewritten sheet where I'd quoted from the English translation (which is not the one I originally read) and discussed the book at length (but with numerous spoilers). At dovegreyreader scribbles, several commenters discussed the typewritten aspects of the book, suggesting that the occasional blips might be meant to parallel the story itself. The entire discussion is fascinating, and as a hat tip to the interesting points raised, I offer one of my favorite passages from the book (I don't think it's much of a spoiler but I suggest caution anyways), childishly and amateurishly typewritten from a few months ago:

Click to enlarge

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of "Brodeck" so I know nothing about the plot, author, etc. But after reading that quote I HAVE to go out and find that book. The dialogue made me feel like a third party in the conversation - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see this book getting more and more press. It is Claudel's best, in my opinion and remained with me for a long time after reading.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments have been disabled due to an increase in spam. Sorry!